Monday, March 16, 2009

One Year Ago I Was Famous For a Second

Well...maybe not completely FAMOUS. Last February I was on the Ellen DeGeneres show. It's true. So here's how it all went down. I was sitting on my couch watching the Ellen Show and I saw this little announcement across the bottom of the screen that Ellen was looking for 4 friends to roadtrip across the country where they would end up in LA and meet Ellen on the show. I remember thinking to myself "hecks yes!" So I called up the 3 friends that I have known the longest. My sister, Jaime Gottmann and Jamie Bielich. We have all known each other for like a million years and I knew that we could have a great shot at being picked considering how fabulous we all are. I told the girls "we have to do this" and we arranged to film a video the next day. The funny thing about filming that day was this. My sister was sick and cranky and I was totally pms-ing. This is not a good combination for sisters! There were a few conflicts but we worked them out and filmed the winning video that night...grumpiness and all!

The next week we got a call from the producer telling us that we were in the running to get picked for this totally awesome trip. We were ecstatic and paniced all at the same time. We all had these two thoughts. 1) I need to ask my boss for the time off just in case...even though I have no idea when we would leave or when we would come back. This, needless to say was tricky and induced panic especially for Bielich and Gottmann who are total planners. 2) I actually might be leaving my family (and dogs...you're welcome Gott) for possibly 2 weeks. YIKES!

My first conversation with the producer went a little something like this:

Producer: Can you take off of work for possibly 2 weeks?
Me: YES!
Producer: You can really just pick up and leave without any notice?
Me: YES! OF COURSE!
Producer: Your husbands are ok with watching the kids?
Me: YES! THEY REALLY WANT TO!

It didn't matter what the question was I just said yes. I figured this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and that the details would all work themselves out at some point. When I hung up the phone I was in frozen "this might actually happen" mode. One week after that conversation I was sitting in the living room at Bielch's house waiting to have what we thought was the final interview with the big cheese producer. As it turns out...the final phone call was from Ellen herself telling us that an Acadia was pulling up outside the house and she asked if we would get it in. The answer...of course...was YES! 3 1/2 hours later the 4 of us were on a plane and on our way to New Orleans where we would start our roadtrip adventure. It was whirlwind fast!

More to come...

Lovesandboy,
Bekah

1 comment:

  1. That was awesome! I loved all of the footage I was able to find online since I didn't know until after the fact and I don't watch Ellen. You guys were hilarious - I can't believe you don't have your own talk show or sitcom yet. There's still time...

    ReplyDelete