Sunday, October 9, 2011

Soup Time

I was told by my son that I am the best soup maker ever. I just thought that everyone should know.

I love soup. My son loves soup. A lot. A whole lot. His favorite is broccoli cheese. I know. He's weird for a four year old. He also loves crab. And shrimp. And vegetables. I love him.

So. It's fall. And fall just calls out for soup nights. I am happy to oblige. The latest soup? Squash. Yum. It's creamy and delicious. Here's my recipe. It's super easy.

2 Butternut Squash
2 Acorn Squash
1 stick butter
1 onion - diced
2 boxes Chicken Broth
Heavy whipping cream

Cut both kinds of squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place squash, flesh side up, on a cookie sheet covered in tinfoil (the tinfoil just helps with the clean up...I'm kinda lazy). Drizzle squash with olive oil and then generously sprinkle sea salt, garlic and pepper all over the squash. Pour a little water on the bottom of the pan and cover with tinfoil. Bake at 400 for 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours. Squash should be soft enough to scoop out easily.
*Acorn squash will cook faster then the butternut

About 10 min before squash is done place a stick of butter in a big pot. Add diced onion to melted butter. Cook until onion is translucent. Add chicken broth and simmer. Scoop out flesh of squash and add to the broth mixture. Add about 1/2 quart of heavy whipping cream (or more depending on how naughty you are feeling). With a stick blender, blend the soup until creamy but still with some texture. (If you don't have a stick blender you could transfer to a regular blender and then back to the pot but that's a lof of work and a lot of clean up so I woud just mash it with a spoon or whisk as best as I could...chunky soup never hurt anyone!)

Serve with freshly grated parm cheese. Super.

This is our favorite soup right now so I thought I would share the love. :)

Lovesandboys,
Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment